Using CGM to adjust pump settings

1 post / 0 new
Donald Anderson
Using CGM to adjust pump settings

Over the last decade glucose sensors have been increasingly used by patients on CSII. In addition to using sensors in real time CGM traces may be helpful in deciding how to make adjustments to pump settings.

I am interested in knowing how clinicians (senior doctors, junior doctors and diabetes nurses) interpret and make use of the information from sensor studies. I wonder if clinicians experienced in paediatric diabetes give consistent advice or if there is a lot of clinician specific and centre specific variation in the approach used when making these decisions.

Locally in Newcastle, Australia I have run a pilot survey, where clinicians have reviewed 10 sets of data consisting of a short clinical introduction and a six day CGM trace (Medtronic iPro) and then answered questions via an online survey. In total there are 10 sets and this takes about 1.5 - 2 hours to do well. The data comes from real children but surrogate names have been used and the data is completely de-identified.

I hope clinicians at other paediatric diabetes centres around the world will also review these data. I thought the best way to do this is to send the traces to one coordinating person who will then discuss with other team members and forward the details to them.

If you are in a position to help I will be very keen to hear from you via email: donald.anderson@hnehealth.nsw.gov.au

Don Anderson