Chapter 17: Adolescence
Moderator(s): Forum Admin, David Maahs
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

11/27/2017 at 12:49:16 PM GMT
Chapter 17: Adolescence

Dear ISPAD member/friend,

The 2014 ISPAD Clinical Practice Consensus Guidelines were much appreciated. We are happy to announce that preparations for the 2018 Guidelines are now well underway and that a new draft chapter is now ready for your comments and input. We look forward to hearing your thoughts and ideas on the Adolescence chapter here below!

Kind regards,

David Maahs

ISPAD Secretary General

Attached Files: 

Last edited Monday, March 5, 2018
1/6/2018 at 4:38:56 PM GMT
I enjoyed reading this excellent, comprehensive overview of the important issues pertaining to adolescents with diabetes.

I suggest adding a recommendation to routinely screen adolescents for depression at clinic visits in the Executive Summary and Recommendations?

Page 3 Grade of evidence is (D/E) in two places. I believe ISPAD guidelines uses the ADA grading system. There is no grade D. Was this intended to be B/E?

Page 4 Line 4 Although it is implied (because the chapter is about adolescence and diabetes), I suggest modifying the sentence along the following lines: "Although the majority of adolescents with diabetes adapt well to the challenges of puberty … it must be recognized that … “
There certainly are challenges associated with puberty, but they are only difficult for some.

Page 4 3rd line from bottom, omit apostrophe after adolescents

Page 5 … recreational and illicit drugs (e.g. in some US states, formerly illicit drugs are now legal leading to use of term recreational drugs!)
Also on page 8 and in other places.

Page 6 … computer games, internet, and television (“screen time”)

Replace potentially with " ... may not be on their priority list"

Page 6 line 8 “This is perhaps reflective of …”
“Can be used to bridge competing priorities”

Page 7 “… indifferent parents may have severe mental health problems … “

Page 8 For readers who are unfamiliar with the HEADSS technique, I suggest providing more information (perhaps add a Table on how to use this assessment method in clinic)

Page 13 The abbreviation STIs has not been defined but is used in several places

1/6/2018 at 4:40:29 PM GMT
Chapter Adolescence

I suggest adding a recommendation to routinely screen adolescents for depression at clinic visits in the Executive Summary and Recommendations?

Page 3 Grade of evidence is (D/E) in two places. I believe ISPAD guidelines uses the ADA grading system. There is no grade D. Was this intended to be B/E?

Page 4 Line 4 Although it is implied (because the chapter is about adolescence and diabetes, I suggest modifying the sentence:  Although the majority of adolescents with diabetes adapt well to the challenges of puberty … it must be recognized that … “

There certainly are challenges associated with puberty, but they are only difficult for some.

Page 4 3rd line from bottom, omit apostrophe after adolescents

Page 5 … recreational and illicit drugs (e.g. in some US states, formerly illicit drugs are now legal!)  

Also on page 8

Page 6 … computer games, internet, and television (“screen time”)

Replace potentially with may not be on their priority list

Page 6 line 8 “This is perhaps reflective of …”

“Can be used to bridge competing priorities”

Page 7 “… indifferent parents may have severe mental health problems … “

Page 8 For readers who are unfamiliar with the HEADSS technique, I suggest providing more information (perhaps add a Table on how to use this assessment method in clinic)

Page 13 The abbreviation STIs has not been defined; used in several places

1/25/2018 at 10:52:12 AM GMT
A moderator has removed this post.
3/5/2018 at 11:46:34 AM GMT

Thank you for your comments. We have amended the article according to the suggestions.

Dr. Ethel Codner

Contact Us

ISPAD Executive Office
c/o K.I.T. Group GmbH
Association & Conference Management
Kurfürstendamm 71
10709 Berlin, Germany

Join ISPAD

Click the link below to join the Society!

Join Today!

Phone: +49 (0)30 24603-210
Fax: +49 (0)30 24603-200
Email: secretariat@ispad.or
g

Privacy Policy
Terms of Service
Legal Notice    

Disclaimer

© 2018 International Society for Pediatric and Adolescent Diabetes (ISPAD)

Association Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal